www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Small Town Life



Remember, back in the "old days," when people used to actually come out of the gas station and pump your gas for you? And washed your windows!

Then self-serve came around, and it was cheaper, so no one, except old people had their gas pumped by an attendant. And your windows? Forget it.

So this is Corky's. It's a full-service gas station/car wash/laundromat. It has the cheapest gas in town (unless you drive 4 miles to the next town and go to Costco). You can pump your gas yourself, but why would you? Remy comes out, pumps your gas, washes your windows, chats about the weather -- I love it! I always buy my gas there, unless I have a 50 cent per gallon discount at the Conoco at the Loaf & Jug. Otherwise, Remy gets my business. I feel like it's one of the last vestiges of small town life.

I hope it sticks around for awhile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently moved to Oregon, where you're not allowed to pump your own gas even if you want to. So weird!

Leeann said...

I hope it sticks around too. I remember that my mom always used full serve when I was growing up. I don't know that I ever have, except in Jersey b/c it's that law there (and I guess it is in Oregon too, given what the above poster says!)

M said...

Remember when two attendants came out and one did the windows and checked the oil while the other pumped the gas?

By the way...my son pays about a dollar less per gallon than we do here...what is the price there?

1dreamr said...

...the good old days. I'm understanding more and more what my parents / grandparents meant when they used that phrase...