www.flickr.com

Thursday, May 6, 2010

One More Night of Woman TV

So Eamonn and Declan are away on the fourth grade camping trip (and I use the word "camping" loosely here--they're sleeping in heated cabins) until tomorrow.

Cereal for dinner anyone?

We have multiple TVs in this house, so it's not like I wouldn't be able to watch whatever I want whenever I want anyway, but there is something so sweet about being the only grown up in the house, putting the only kid in the house to bed at an early hour, and settling down to watch some Woman TV. Without any commentary because it might be classless Woman TV. In my holey t-shirt and pajama pants. OK, so I dress like that even if Eamonn is here, but it's just fun to be slovenly in solitude and without judgment.

Originally, Eamonn was supposed to be out of town for a week several weeks ago. I planned very carefully, because remember, I am now the proud owner of a DVR and three free months of HBO and Showtime (sometimes--for some reasons Showtime doesn't alway show up as free. Weird.). And for those of you wondering how I like my DVR after having one at long last? Two Words: DVR Ho. Yes, I am a DVR Ho. And I've got no problem with that. Those 150 hours on the DVR that I was aghast about? Who would need all that space? Is nearly full.

Anyway. Where was I? Right. The careful planning. The careful planning involved several things. First, food. Because in an ideal, non-calorie counting world, my "Husband is out of town" eating would involve cereal for breakfast, some sort of ethinic frozen entree for lunch, and popcorn and a rootbeer for dinner, which isn't eaten at a normal dinner hour, but in front of the TV after the kids are in bed.

I'm a simple person.

So I bought some frozen ethnic entrees and stocked up on cereal. This was before my dairy-free, gluten-free vegan experiment so I'm sort of overstocked on cereal now.

And then I started perusing the TV guide on the satellite, my thumb poised over the DVR button on the remote. There was so much crap to watch and too little time. Bride Wars. Check. Shakespeare in Love (not crap in my book). Check. Twilight. Check. New Moon. Check. I know. It keeps getting worse, doesn't it?

Bye Bye Birdie. That PBS special about Bing Crosby. All sorts of old Disney movies like That Darn Cat and Summer Magic (I can probably pull off getting the kids to watch those). Snow Falling on Cedars. Duplicity. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. All sorts of stuff we didn't pay to see in the theaters because Eamonn never would have gone anyway, never rented, never found at the library. I'm recording it all willy nilly! Because I can!

And that doesn't even count all of the stuff I can stream instantly from my Netflix queue.

I have so much Woman TV stored up that Eamonn really needs to go circumnavigate the globe for me to make a dent in it.

And then his trip was cancelled. And I am left with a DVR full of Woman TV that I'm trying to watch over the course of a two night camping trip. So far I've made it through New Moon and its special features and 30 minutes of Bride Wars.

Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Messy and Wonderful said...

The bright side of my husband traveling so much is that I get to watch all my girl tv that he has no tolerance for on a regular basis.

He has his man crap stored too and I plant all my little men on the couch with him and gladly get some a.l.o.n.e. time.

Marci said...

I knew that the DVR would turn you to the dark side...powerful stuff that DVR!

Leeann said...

Ha! I just wrote something similar on Facebook the other day! Rob is in Vegas working and I am in heaven catching up on all my Crap TV uninterrupted!
Today is the last day. No way I can fit it all in but I'm going to try.
DVR's ROCK!!!

jean said...

Wasn't there talk of sending Eammon & Craig on the Amazing Race? that would get him out of your hair for awhile... :-)

P.S. I'm starting my detox on Monday...

Anonymous said...

Oooooh...I had the last weekend to myself at night!! One night was Ladies Night :) and the other was me with a Chick Flick DVD and pizza with my favorite toppings that INEVERGETTOORDER when everyone is home :)

Ahhhh, life is good!
lMnop

1dreamr said...

Have fun!!! :-)