www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bake Yer Bacon

I love bacon.

Yes, I know. It doesn't fit with anything else I talk about in terms of good eating. I especially love the bacon in England/Ireland--back bacon. People say, oh, that's just like Canadian bacon. It isn't. The end.

So a few months ago, I had a Bacon Revolution. I don't think I've told you about it. And you may read this and say, oh yeah, I've done that for years. But for those of you in the dark, I'm here to show you the light about cooking bacon. Because while I love bacon, and I especially love the flavor when it's cooked in a cast iron pan (which is how I've done it for years), it's messy and I nearly always burn it because I'm running around trying to make pancakes or waffles, etc. to go with it.

Burned bacon doesn't make anyone happy.

And then Tara told me about baking your bacon.

It sounded weird.

And then I did it. I am now a convert. It's easy. I just did it tonight for BLTs.

Check it out:
Line a cookie sheet (one that has sides) with foil (curve the foil up at the side of the pan.

Put your bacon on the foil.

Put it in a cold oven.

Turn the oven on to 400 degrees. For those of you in England, I think that's about Gas Mark 6.

Cook for maybe 15 - 20 minutes. I can't remember the exact time. Keep an eye on it because when it's done, it will burn, just like on the stovetop! Take it out when it looks like it's done to your liking. We like ours a little crispy.

Drain on paper towels.

Eat it up. Try not to eat too much. That's hard, I know.

Crumple up the foil and put your cookie sheet away without washing it because it's still clean.

You can thank me later.

9 comments:

Cook My Book said...

I've done it on a broiler pan with foil on the bottom pan for years - haven't tried the baking sheet before... Less cleaning makes me happy. Onward march!

Sheila said...

I discovered that a few months ago, it rocks!

Alisa White said...

I will definitely try that! Thanks!

Lucinda said...

If I can't convince Andy to grill it, I do it in the oven. If it weren't for that cooking method, I think I'd only eat bacon at restaurants because I hate the mess.

Lauren said...

OK, I did it this morning. Each kid has a friend sleeping over and I needed to do a bunch of bacon. Worked great! Thanks. :)

Jennifer said...

I usually use my George Foreman grill to cook my bacon, doesn't splatter everywhere, because I can close the lid!- but I might have to try baking it the next time!:)

Jennifer Freeman said...

I have been baking bacon for years because I don't like the mess of cooking on the stove top. I tried cooking it on cooling racks in the cookie sheet, healthier - not sitting in fat, outcome - not as good as baking in fat.

Amber said...

I read somewhere to coat the bacon in brown sugar then bake it. I may have to try this...

Beth said...

We bake bacon too. And, if you happen to eat burgers (which I assume is a possibility since you eat bacon), you can cut bacon into 2-3 inch pieces. Take four of them and weave them together (basketweave style) and bake them. They fit perfectly on a burger!