www.flickr.com

Sunday, March 16, 2008

St. Baldrick's Day Baldness



Well, another St. Baldrick's Day has come and gone. The fundraising goal for Eagle was $35,000. I have to say, I had my doubts as to whether or not we'd reach the goal. Yes, people were generous, but that seemed like a lot! I'm happy to report, as of 5pm yesterday and before the "official" tally was in (they're counting today as we speak), the total was. . .$50,501! Now, that of course is an estimate and donations are actually still coming in, but it really is so amazing.

Declan's total as of today: $520.28--his class brought in over $230!

Eamonn's total as of today: $1,930

The event started at 1 p.m. and the place was immediately jammed--literally cheek by jowl. The Eagle Valley Children's Chorale gave a performance first. The first shavee was the fire chief, resplendent in his kilt. Then people moved in a crush to line up and the shaving took off. Last year we only had 3 barbers and it took the entire four hours to shave everyone. This year, the 8 barbers were on a mission and they had nearly 80 people shaved in less than 2 hours.

There were clowns, which freaked Finn out, food and a silent auction. And I couldn't believe how many walk-ins we had who wanted to get their heads shaved or who just walked in to donate. In something out of the Twilight Zone, this man walked in with a parrot on his shoulder. He said he used to live next door to the fire station and wanted to come in and donate. Of course, he and his parrot became somewhat of a sideshow. I kept looking at the parrot and wondering, "Does it ever poop on his head?" I worry about things like that.

Anyway, instead of rambling on, I'll just say that a picture is worth a 1,000 words and send you on to a slideshow, which also has pictures of Declan's birthday party.

But before you go, thank you, thank you for your donations and support. It was an incredible day and you were all a part of it through your generosity. I love it that this money is going to PEDIATRIC cancer research. Love it!

Declan's b-day and St. Baldrick's pics

3 comments:

Messy and Wonderful said...

What beautiful heads for a beautiful cause!!! Way to go boys!

Leeann said...

Natalie,

Loved, loved, LOVED the slideshow!
When I read your comment about not being able to delete any pictures of Declan because it touches your heart, how he is honoring his brother..I promptly burst into tears myself.
He is such a precious blessing!

And oddly, I find him really, really cute with that head-shaved look.

Thanks for uploading all the pictures!

Leeann
ps- Oh, and Declan...WAY TO GO!!

1dreamr said...

Awww..those photos are just great. Made me tear up, too!!! Congrats Declan and Eamonn - terrific job!